26 February 2011

Addicted to Australia


Ryan Houlihan
Sydney, Australia
Fall 2009

What made you decide to go abroad?
I felt like it was part of the college experience and there’s no other time in your life you get the chance to do this.

What is the first thing you did after you decided you wanted to study abroad?
I picked a few places that I would want to go and kind of felt out what the programs had to offer, like how many Americans they hosted each semester.

What helped you pick your program? How did you decide?
Other than people answering questions for me, I came to the decision on my own after I talked to a lot of faculty because I feel like for the most part, students are going to like wherever they end up going abroad.

Do you feel that you were prepared when you left?
I was prepared, but I didn’t feel prepared. When I left, I was really unsure of myself and uneducated about the things I would deal with over there, from living spaces to travel and transportation to the type of people I would meet.

How could the abroad office have made your preparations easier?
I think there was a packet or a handout for pretty much everything. They explained processes, but then when the day comes you kind of figure out everything by yourself. I think we found out that Australia, in fact, was very much like America in some ways but very different in so many other ways.

Is there anything you wish they could have told you?
I wish they had told us that when we went there, it wouldn’t be as foreign in some ways and not so foreign in other ways. I wish I knew that money conversion wasn’t going to end up being a long term issue or that you’ll get to know the trains quicker than you might think. The long term issues were more about their cultural outlooks, ideas and concepts because I feel that they are totally different than ours. For example, when they make jokes, it’s normally at the expense of another person, but it’s just how they are, they aren’t trying to be insulting.

Once you get there…

What did you think of the classes there? Was there an orientation or anything that helped ease your nerves before your first class?
Orientation was much more helpful at Macquarie than the orientation at Marist. I personally thought their academic system was far more effective than that of American institutions. The classes were harder but it was easier to succeed and to learn in them.

How different were your expectations from the real thing? If very different, did that stress you out? And how did you relieve that stress?
I expected to be in a setting where I would meet more people from the university but I ended up meeting more people from the college, which was the dorm style building I lived in called Dunmore Lang College. I ended up having minimal connections at the actual university. It was stressful the first day because you felt like you should really join some clubs or activities so you really tried, but that’s not how it was. I wish we knew it was like that, so I didn’t have unrealistic expectations of myself.

Your favorite place to eat?
There was a place in circular quay (pronounced key) where you could get anything covered in chocolate called the Chocolate Bar. I think they have one in New York City, too.

Food or drink you MUST try?
Am I allowed to say a Jelly Donut Shot? But also, I’m a vegetarian and I wasn’t aware that there aren’t normally full meals that are served without meat. I also lived off of Milo, which is similar to hot chocolate.
Favorite place to go out with friends?
The Ranch was where everyone from DLC went every Wednesday night, which was within walking distance from the college. In downtown Sydney there was a German bar called Lowenbrau that I loved to go to because of the atmosphere it provided. During one of our organized pub crawls we went to a bar called Home, also in downtown Sydney which was a lot of fun, especially if you’re in the mood to dance and mingle.

Place students MUST visit?
You have to go to the Sydney Harbour Bridge, but it is a little expensive to do the walk over the bridge. You should get to every beach you can possibly visit, and Luna Park was really cool, we had our college formal there and I had a blast.

Place with the best deals?
Paddy’s Market, I think anyone will agree has the best deals and is the best place to get souvenirs to take home with you. They literally sell any kind of souvenir you can think of, but then there’s also a fresh produce market, a whole section with just jewelry, and really just anything you could possibly want to buy.

Place that was a little over-hyped, you wouldn’t recommend?
The Sydney Aquarium, I think I just wanted to go to because it was in Sydney, but really it was just like any other aquarium I’ve gone to. I went there just to say I went there.

What is the best piece of advice you can give others going abroad?
Make a ton of friends and don’t think about home because you’ll get home sooner than you want to.  I think being home sick is a waste of time, just enjoy where you are, and get a cell phone!
Australia changed my perspective on people. There was so little judgment there and it’s something I feel like Americans can’t understand until you go. It’s the same price as Marist- just go.

No comments:

Post a Comment